Hello everybody! You probably don’t know that but I started blogging in 2010. I had countless blogs with different names, different themes, different things. Before Such a Flour I had a blog called “RWVGIRL” for three years, I learned everything there, from html to analytics, but it came a time when the blog wasn’t expressing who I was or what I wanted to do in life. So I deleted it and Such a Flour was born. It’s been quite a journey, with lots of ups and downs and lots of breaks and returns.
I promised myself that in 2015 my main goal was to work really hard on my blog, I took loads of breaks during my move to Brazil and my move back to England last year. Not good for business. My blog suffered and now I’m paying the price and feeling the consequences of those breaks. Blogging is like having a child, if you stop feeding it, it will eventually die. Don’t be a bad parent, feed your blog.
So I decided to share with you my mistakes. What I’m constantly trying to change about my blogging habits and I hope it can help you to deal with your problems.
Here we go!
1) Don’t let things that are happening outside your blogging life keep you from your blog: I know it’s really hard when you study or work, or both (trust me, I do both) but there are ways of staying organised and keep your blog going. It really helps to make a calendar.If you read blogs constantly you’ve probably read this in loads of them, but trust me, it really helps, because if you already know what your post is about, it’s quicker to just jump at it then doing without knowing, and helps to let you know what you’re talking about, what is repetitive or not good for your blog. Create columns, for example, every Friday you’ll visit Such a Flour and find a book review. It helps you and readers as well. Just don’t let it die, because the more you stay away from your blog, the more difficult it is to get it all back.
2) The higher the pressure, the lower the speed: If your life is taking all your energy but you still want to keep blogging, reduce the number of posts per week. If you usually post 4/5 times reduce to 2/3. And keep it simple, don’t try to make super duper complicated posts during busy times.
3) Let’s get personal: I know it’s hard to put out feelings out there sometimes, if it’s hard with real people online it’s way harder. But if you’re struggling with something, blogging or really personal, sometimes sharing with readers really help. There is always someone out there that can relate to what you’re going through.
4) Love, Love, Love: Just blog if you’re madly in love with it. Otherwise there is no point actually. It’s LOADS of work and “beautiful pictures” alone won’t make a successful blog. I’m obsessed with it, and my blog helped and taught me so much that I feel a massive hole every time I stop.
5) CH CH CH Changeees: As human beings, we are meant to change from time to time. Some people more than others, but we all do. And that is fine, and that have nothing to do with age, current situation, etc. For example, I love fashion with all my heart, I used to be obsessed with it, collect Vogues (still do) read everything, all the time, my goal was to be a stylist. I was 100% sure of it, and my blog reflected that, fashion fashion fashion. Until over christmas break I had a… sort of revelation. I love graphic design. I want to do something with it, but yet again I thought “I’m 25, might be to old to change now, lets just stick with fashion” but then again, I realised that putting age into something that had nothing to do with it, was a way of limiting myself. So I’m currently studying graphic design – mainly by myself and reading 100000 books about it.And my blog will also feel the change. Fashion will no longer be the 100% focus of Such a Flour. And that’s okay. It’s tricky to change and start new things, I know I’m still adapting with new content, but it’s fine. Just keep doing it.
Well, I don’t want this post to get bigger than already is. So, I’m stopping here. I hope my tips helped and I’ll try to follow my own advice haha.
Now, tell me, what is the technique you guys use not to be a bad blogger?
FOLLOW SUCH A FLOUR: